What You Need To Know About Child Custody

Under Texas law, child custody is legally referred to as conservatorship. You might be surprised to learn that much of what you have heard about child custody is inaccurate. Do you know how child custody works? Did you know that child custody is actually referred to as conservatorship under Texas law? The first step to protecting your relationship with your child is getting accurate information about how conservatorship is handled and working with an experienced attorney who will stand by your side.

At Law Office of Michella K. Melton in McKinney, we have 10-plus years of experience handling complex family law matters. We understand how the law and the courts view conservatorship cases. One question dictates how these cases will be resolved: What is in the best interest of the child? In most cases, the child will be best served by maintaining a relationship with each parent. The real challenge becomes determining how time and decision-making power will be split between parents. We will work hard to pursue arrangements that allow you to continue to spend as much time as possible with your child.

Whether you are going through a divorce or you are seeking child custody arrangements as part of a paternity action, our lawyers can help. We also lend our experience to modifications and enforcement of child custody schedules.

Interstate And International Child Custody Cases

Perhaps the most complex conservatorship cases involve one parent who has moved or wants to move out of state or to another country. There are specific laws that come into play in these situations, and we are well-versed in those laws.

Interstate child custody cases call into play the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which helps to determine which state's laws will be used in determining child custody arrangements. International child custody cases call into play the Hague Convention, which addresses a wide range of issues that come up when one parent wants to move to another country with his or her child.

We can also help with guardianship petitions if you are a relative seeking legal custodial care of a child.

Learn More About Child Conservatorship

Call 214-449-1900 or send an email to schedule a meeting at our law office to discuss conservatorship laws and to find out how we can protect your relationship with your child.